painting shelves

I suffer from a horrible affliction, While-We’re-At-It-Itis. The root of the problem seems to stem from the fact that when I look at a room that needs to be upgraded, I see the big picture, and the details are somewhat fuzzy. I see paint chips that will transform to wall color. I see a “quick one hour project,” which in reality entails a 3 hour build out plus 3 more hours of painting.

I thought redoing our laundry room would be covering a wall, rebuilding cabinet doors, painting, crown molding and baseboards. Then we came to this little nook in the wall. The original cabinet in here was a quick build out of scraps – but it never fit correctly and we just couldn’t trim it out properly. So… while we were doing the laundry room, the nook had to be redone. Sigh.

The Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge deadline was today. I’m gonna be late 🙂 It’s almost done, though, and I’ll be soooo glad to cross one more thing off our to do list. On a positive note… at least I’ll have something for Transformation Thursday, huh?

About Gina Luker

Gina Luker is a writer, photographer and lover of all things quirky. She's usually found with a drill in one hand and a cocktail in the other while blogging along the way. She's addicted to coffee, polka dots, rock stars, Instagram, and everything aqua.


  1. This sounds similar to what we call in development ‘yak shaving’ http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yak_shaving

  2. I have that same problem, thanks for giving it a name. I can’t seem to do just little changes. Before I know it I am redoing the whole room. Have you found a cure?
    Let me know if you do.

  3. I suffer from the same affliction which is typically followed by “95%-itis” the illness that leaves 5% of the project undone for at least one year of daily “getaroundtoit-itis”
    Hang in there!

  4. I’ll pick out something in a store and my husband will say “Ick, where is THAT thing going,” but he doesn’t realize the vision. Once it’s in the house and perked up it’s like he sees said object for the first time. That’s how I see a room. I see the finished project, he sees the explosion it takes to get there.

  5. I know just what you mean! Keep on truckin’, though!

  6. I understand. Saw your shop and was wonderign if yu wanted to give soemthign for a big giveaway I am doing in March. Let me know on my blog.

  7. I love the beadboard, Gina. It gives any space that VINTAGE look.

  8. I’ve got the same thing! Painting a room became painting the hallway and ceiling which is morphing into redoing the banister and oh by the way, the doors look like crud so let’s do those too! The Mr is not amused.

  9. In my house I dream of the vision and my husband executes. The problem is what he says will take an hour usually takes 3! Oh well, that is what DIY is all about.

Speak Your Mind