One of the biggest decisions in the morning: WHAT TO WEAR.
Do you find yourself standing in front of your clothes, wishing that one outfit would jump out and say “pick me, pick me”? Have you ever wondered if you have too many options? Maybe you don’t even know what your options are? What if your closet was so organized that each time you walked or looked into it, you knew you only owned what you needed and would only wear what you wanted?
It is possible. Having an organized closet can be a reality. Start with 4 piles: keep, donate, trash (clothes beyond help), and fix. Here are a few tips that will help you organize your closet and help you keep only what you want to wear.
1. Take inventory. Look at the bottom of each pile in your drawers and on the sides of your hanging clothes. Whatever is located in these areas, you probably will not ever wear these items. Time to get rid of them.
- Does it fit?
- Do you wear it?
- Do you like or enjoy wearing it?
- Does it need fixing?
- For example..
- Long-sleeve shirts: Too small? Stretched out?
- Jeans: Are you saving some for when you lose weight, but haven’t? Do they fit?
- Dresses: Too tight? What occasion would you wear it for? Is it a multi-purpose dress?
- Shoes: Worn out? Dirty? Do they squeak?
- Whatever is beyond repair and does not fit, time to get rid of it.
- Apply this organizing tip to your shorts, tank tops, socks, etc.
- Belts – hang on a nail or lay over on the bar in your closet
- Scarves – hang on a hanger
5. Donate/Sell/Toss/Fix items in the boxes. Consider also donating your unused item to a friend in need.
You are now on your way to a decluttered, clean, and organized closet! The key is to keep up on it. You would be surprised at how neat and organized your closet will look after you apply these tips. Early mornings are much more welcoming when you know what to wear!