Have you ever had blood oranges? If you have, then you’re nodding yes while you can almost taste them. If no, then you’re in for a treat. Blood oranges are a seasonal fruit that you can only find certain months of the year (usually late winter into early spring.) They aren’t like traditional oranges, but a little more bitter. But man, do they really know how to party.
First, they look pretty. I mean, come on – look at that color. It’s like they’re all dressed up and ready to go. And then the flavor pairs so well with so many different alcohols, but this one is my favorite… Blood Oranges on the Beach.
Just the look of it makes me want to sink my toes into some sand and have a mental vacay day. But alas, you really need this recipe, so I’m going to get to work and show you how I made it.
Blood Oranges on the Beach Cocktail Recipe
- juice of two blood oranges (about 1/4 cup), strained
- 1 1/2 oz. of pineapple vodka (Smirnoff is my choice)
- 1 oz. coconut rum (I recommend Parrot Bay)
- 4 oz. sparkling water (like Pellegrino)
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- blood orange wedge for garnish
- Put the strained blood orange juice, coconut rum, pineapple vodka and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake for 10-15 seconds or until well chilled.
- Pour the sparkling water into a small glass, then top with ice.
- Using a strainer, pour the liquid from the shaker into the glass.
- Top with slice of blood orange.
- Enjoy responsibly.
Need a few more summer cocktails to wet your whistle? Here are a few of my favorites….
Moonlight Margaritas (I can drink a pitcher of these by myself… shhhhh!)
Blackberry Mojitos – my favorite mojitos of all time
Shark Bite – if you have some left over coconut rum, this is the best way to put it to good use!
And make sure you stop over to see Andrea’s Blood Orange Mimosa – it looks sooooo good!