Love the tart goodness of blood oranges? They make the perfect margarita! Blood Orange Margaritas on the Rocks can’t be beat!
If you took me to the bar right now and I could drink all I wanted of absolutely anything, I’d go for a margarita every single time. There’s something about the salty, sweet, sourness that just makes me happy. And the tequila doesn’t hurt, either!
Blood oranges lend themselves so well to the flavors of a margarita because of the almost bitterness that it brings to the table. Since they are a more sour version of oranges, it definitely works well when you’re making blood orange margaritas – especially on the rocks!
Once upon a time it was kind of difficult to find them, but these days I’ve seen them everywhere from Whole Foods to Walmart. Which makes things happier for my tummy!
Blood Orange Margaritas on the Rocks
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice (about 1 blood orange)
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 oz. triple sec
- 1 1/4 oz. silver tequila (any kind works – I just prefer the clear)
- salt for rim
- In a cocktail shaker filled 1/2 way with ice, add in the juices, simple syrup, triple sec, and tequila. Shake for 20-30 seconds until good and cold.
- Using one of the limes (there’s usually enough left), go around the rim of the glass then dip into the salt.
- Put a few cubes into the glass, then pour the strained margarita into the glass.
- Garnish with a slice of blood orange and enjoy!
Love this blood orange cocktail recipe? Find more here: