The very first recipe I ever learned to make was cake mix cookies. With only 3 ingredients, all of which pre-measured, my mom knew that it would be pretty hard for me to mess it up. And she was totally right. I’ve probably made cake mix cookies at least a hundred times. But… for some strange reason… I had never made them into sandwiches. Until now.
Lately I’ve had a little obsession with frosting. Actually it was the perfecting of the frosting that is.
So in a couple of weeks we had frosting on cupcakes…. and layer cakes…. and sheet cakes… and cookie sandwiches… and spoons. Ok, a LOT of spoons.
When I put together my two favorite things (frosting + cookies) then we have the perfect treat. I love it when a plan comes together! Want to make them? It’s easy… so let’s get to it.
Cake Batter Cookie Sandwiches
*this post contains affiliate links*
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1 cake mix – 15 oz. box (I used yellow, but you can use any flavor – go crazy.)
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature unsalted butter.
Directions for cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or you could use a handheld), put in all the ingredients together. Mix together until you have a play-dough consistency.
- On a non-stick baking pan (or use parchment paper), scoop cookies with a 2 oz. portion scoop and place them about 1 inch apart. They will not spread much, but it makes them chewy and delicious!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until barely golden on the bottom. Watch the first batch carefully – all ovens vary.
- Let completely cool before filling.
Ingredients for the filling: (Thanks to Amanda at I am baker for helping me perfect my cream cheese frosting!)
- 1/4 cup room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup room temperature cream cheese
- 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for the filling:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and cream cheese for 1 minute or until well combined.
- Add in powdered sugar, then mix on lowest setting until powder is somewhat absorbed.
- Add in cream and vanilla extract, mix until incorporated.
- Turn your mixer on high and beat for 7-10 minutes until your frosting is smooth and fluffy.
Assemble the cake batter cookie sandwiches by spooning (or piping) frosting onto the bottom of one cookie, then put another cookie on top.
And the most important step – ENJOY your cake batter cookie sandwiches!
PS – is there another cookie your family loves? That frosting is amazing on basically anything. Just double the recipe if you need more 🙂