Love chewy sugar cookies? Me, too! These chewy sugar cookies are so simple – and simply the best!
Chewy sugar cookies are hands down our favorite kind. Don’t get me wrong – I’ll pretty much take a sugar cookie any way I can get it: cake style, crunchy, crumbly. But in my mind, when I’m craving sugar cookies – they’re always chewy. But it’s not always easy to find the best ones.
I tried about 15 recipes, and not a single one was exactly what I was looking for. So it took a bit of trial and error, but I’m nothing if not persistent, especially when it comes to cookies. After a LOT of getting it wrong (and a lot of cookies eaten in the process), I finally nailed down the best chewy sugar cookies I’ve ever made.
They are very similar to bakery style chewy sugar cookies – however they don’t have a laundry list of weird ingredients that I can’t even pronounce. It’s all seriously simple ingredients, ones that I know are basic and have been around longer than xantham gum for sure. (PS – don’t look up what that is if you don’t want to be grossed out.)
Of course, I could never figure out the “BEST EVER” chewy sugar cookies and not share. What kind of bloggy friend would I be? And I bet ya a cookie that you won’t even have to go to the store to make a batch. It’s all basic ingredients that are in almost every kitchen.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick), room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional: decorating sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes on med-high.
- Add in the whole egg, egg yolk and vanilla, then mix again until incorporated.
- Put in the baking soda, salt and flour, all at once, then mix on low until it just comes together.
- Scoop out with a 1 oz. portion scoop onto a Silpat (or a buttered baking sheet).
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until the edges are barely browned. Do not overcook, or you'll have crunchy sugar cookies - not chewy ones 🙂