Fall is here and as the cooler weather starts to move in I am always looking for hearty and delicious soup recipes to take the chill off. Pair that with trying to find recipes that the entire family loves and it means I am constantly on the hunt.
This Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Soup has officially been declared a favorite by ALL of my hard-to-please minions and I have to confess that I actually ate it three times in a two day period. Oh yes, I did. It is SO GOOD, y’all.
Garnishing it with a couple of waffle fries, a little diced onion and shredded lettuce (and more bacon, of course) just added to the fun. It’s the closest thing I have ever had to a bacon cheeseburger in soup form.
The addition of a little Worcestershire sauce is perfect but you could use a little steak sauce if you prefer. Remember – add carefully and taste because once you put it in you can’t take it out!
I feel like I say this every time but is there anything better than how your house smells when something fabulous has been simmering away all day in a slow cooker?? You walk in the door and BAM. You are hit with the amazing aroma of a home cooked meal.
What is your favorite soup when the weather cools off? My Creamy Lentil Soup With Sausage is another favorite around here. I am always looking for new ideas so be sure to tell me all about it in the comments.
I’ll see you back here next month for another delicious slow cooker recipe and I hope you will pop over to A Little CLAIREification and say hello between now and then!
SLOW COOKER BACON CHEESEBURGER SOUP
Ingredients2 lb ground beef
- 4 cups chopped onions (3 to 4 medium) plus extra for garnish
- 2 cans (28 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained (I use Rotel)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (plus more to taste)
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes (can substitute American)
- 1 lb. bacon cooked and crumbled (store in the fridge in a Ziploc bag until ready to serve).
- 8-12 waffle fries for garnish
- 1 cup shredded lettuce for garnish (if desired)
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned then drain (this step can be done the day before and the beef refrigerated overnight).
- Turn your slow cooker on LOW and add the cooked beef, the onions, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 8 hours (or on HIGH heat for 4 hours).
- About 15 minutes before serving, make sure the slow cooker is now on LOW or WARM then stir in the cheese and 3/4 of the crumbled bacon and cover.
- Cook the waffle fries according to package directions.
- Stir the soup mixture occasionally while the fries are cooking.
- Add more Worcestershire sauce to taste if desired (careful – a little goes a long way).
- Serve the soup garnished with lettuce, diced onion, bacon and waffle fries.
- Store soup in quart-size resealable freezer plastic bags. Label, and freeze lying flat.
- To reheat: Defrost overnight in refrigerator, or in microwavable bowl on Defrost setting in microwave, stirring often.
- Then microwave lightly covered (not sealed) on High until hot.
- Serve with freshly cooked waffle fries and other garnishes.