Homemade BBQ Sauce is something that we don’t think to make every day. It’s so cheap to pick up a bottle of pre-made sauce at the market, and every little shortcut helps, right? But sometimes you really want control of every bite – so homemade BBQ sauce really highlights what you want the flavor to be. My crew loves it on BBQ Sliders, so that’s how I’m going to use it here. Since we’re taking the long road on the BBQ sauce, we’ll take the easy way to do the beef… in a slow cooker!
BBQ SLIDERS WITH HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE RECIPE
- 2 to 2 1/2 pound beef roast
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10-12 rolls
- Place the roast in a slow cooker.
- Mix together the ketchup, vinegar, sweet chili sauce, and spices and pour over the meat – make sure the meat is covered well with the sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 1/2 to 5 hours, or until meat falls apart and shreds easily.
- Pull meat out of slow cooker, then shred up and add into a bowl.
- Slowly add in sauce from cooking to the meat until you get the amount you prefer.
- Slice rolls and pile on the meat.
And that’s it! It really only takes about 15 minutes of work to have a delicious meal at the end of the day (and as a bonus your whole house will smell like a high end bbq joint!) Don’t feel shy to play around with the sauce combinations. You can basically use any vinegar and can easily substitute the sweet chili sauce for almost any jelly (blackberry and apple are both great options!)
No matter how you mix it up – just try to make it yourself. It’s so dang easy and so delicious you’ll never hit the bottle again.
– shared at Meal Planning Monday