Hello, Hello Shabby Creek Cottage Readers! Heather here from The Sewing Loft and I’m excited to be back with you again.
Since today is the 1st day of summer I thought it would be fun to shift the focus to our outside space. You know that place where we spend our time hanging with family and friends during the next few months. Well, my space needs some updating. Actually, what it really needs is a few pillows to liven things up. After looking around in a few of my favorite catalogs, I found these.
Decorative pillows are a great way to liven up your space on a shoe string budget. Heck, Gina has an entire Pinterest board dedicated to them. (And let me just tell you it’s amazing, go check it out!) Since I already have a ruffle flag pillow from last year, I’m going to focus on the Americana star pillow today. I promise, they are really easy!
Americana Star Pillow Knock Off
- canvas fabric
- 16″ pillow form insert
- 11″ square denim fabric for star
- 70″ of coordinating piping
- 20″ zipper
- sewing machine
- zipper foot
- basic sewing supplies
Directions: To make things easy, I am going to refer back to Gina’s zipper pillow cover tutorial. We are going to be building on this. 1. Draw star shape on your denim. *Clip art is your friend… just print it out to size. I needed to print mine in 2 pieces and tape together.
2. Trace star shape on wrong side of fabric. This is your stitch line. Straight stitch all around star outline. I like to use a small stitch. When you hit a corner, leave you needle in the down position; lift your presser foot up and turn fabric. Continue straight stitching all around. *This is your stay stitch.
3. Cut all around the star leaving 1/4″ denim fabric past seam. Next clip fabric in 1/4″ to 1/2″ sections at right angles to seam; fringe with your fingers.
4. Create colored piping with a long continuous strip of bias folded in half over cording. Attach your zipper foot to machine and straight stitch as close to cording as possible. You want this to be a semi snug fit.
5. Start piping in the middle of your Americana pillow and stitch all around. When you get to the other side, clip the cording insert and overlap.
6. Position star and pin in place. Stitch all around. Actually, since this is a patch, I stitched twice. 7. Return to Gina’s zipper pillow cover tutorial and you are all set.
Okay, let’s break it down: Original Americana Star Pillow: $95.00 plus shipping Knock off Star Pillow: under $10.00 Now, I am not the knock off queen in the house but I sure think for $10.00 my version looks pretty good. What do you think? Did I do okay? I sure hope so!
ps- If this easy project inspires you to get stitching, be sure to visit my sewing blog for more inspiration and sewing tips.
Leslie Stewart says
What a great pillow! Thanks for the tutorial!
House on the Way
20 North Ora says
Heather – Great tutorial and wonderful pillow. Thanks.
HI. I'm Julie. The Stalker. says
This is awesome. I feel like I may even be able to do this. May.