For nearly five years, my life was all about Etsy. For a few years I ran an Etsy shop – one that I truly loved working on. It was so much fun to find success in sharing my love of handmade goods with my customers. Earlier this year I got the opportunity to write a book on how I found success with my shop and share those tips with others so they could start their own Etsy shop. After months of writing, editing and waiting – and now How to Start a Home-based Etsy Business is now available.
Ok, so I can’t really write a review of my own book… that would be a little… ummm… weird. (I’m SUPER excited about the Foreword by The Nester, though!!) But here’s what I can tell you: five awesome selling secrets you’ll find inside (along with much, much more!)
Five Awesome Etsy Secrets
1) If your shop is a business, treat it that way. Confidently price your items based on the supplies + time + administrative time it took to source, create, produce, pack & ship the item, along with any customer service time. We’re talking every little thing that went into making it. Not counting packing time is ripping yourself off. Not counting every little supply comes off your bottom line. This isn’t personal – it’s business. If you’re not making money then it’s a hobby.
2) Get schooled on SEO. There are entire books devoted to SEO (search engine optimization) as well as entire websites that talk of nothing else. I give you the foundation of creating a great SEO platform within the book. If you don’t learn how to make the most of your shop, you’re going to get left behind. SEO is crucial to the success of any website.
3) Luck doesn’t just happen – it’s a sign of years of work. Rarely does someone happen upon success without blood, sweat and tears. It seems so magical that I “quit my day job” within a year of starting this blog. But, no one really thinks about the fact that I spent two years working on a blog before this one that failed miserably. Those two years taught me how to learn HTML and use social media. It taught me how to be part of a community. There is knowledge in failure.
4) On Etsy, 100 is a magic number. I don’t know what it is about the magic of 100 listings, but I can tell you that I’ve talked to hundreds of sellers in the last five years and if you’re a full time seller then you most likely have over 100 listings in your shop. Multiple daily sales only happen in shops that are big enough to hold them. You need variety, plus enough room for SEO to work well. Get to 100 listings as fast as you possibly can.
5) Photography IS your product online. In stores, customers can pick up your goods – feel them, smell them, hold them in their hands. Online sales are all done through photographs, so make sure yours are as best as they can possibly be! You don’t need a fancy DSLR camera, even most cell phones these days have the ability to take amazing photos. You just need to take your time, get the lighting right and learn how to represent your products in the best possible way.
Those five secrets can change the course of your business. Seriously.
If someone in your life runs an Etsy shop or wants to start one – I’d be so honored if you gifted them this book for Christmas. And, I can promise you, it will be a wealth of knowledge for them to use to grow their shops. I’ve done it myself, plus helped hundreds of others grow their shops into blossoming businesses through speaking at conferences and through my personalized Etsy coaching services.
::GIVEAWAY NOW CLOSED::