I know, I know… I’m a little behind on the trend. Everybody has already posted how to make a book page wreath all over blogworld, but I’m in a creative slump, so I thought I’d just do something – anything – just to get my juices flowing again. Couple the creative block with the fact that I really, REALLY wanted to make one of these, and it was a good way to push myself to do something new (and it was pretty relaxing, too!)
I started with a book of Shakespeare plays. I found mine at a thrift store for 50 cents a while ago. I watched a movie while I rolled the pages up one by one to make it easier when I went to put them on the wreath “form.” It took about 1/3 of the book.
Next, I cut out a circle from a large piece of a box – just two circular objects (a container lid for the outside, a bowl for the inside), then cut the circles with a box knife to create my “form.”
I wrapped a piece of seam binding around, left a loop for hanging, then glued it down around the cardboard circle. Next, I placed cones made from the full size book page to make 4 quadrants (north, south, east, west). I made the cones, did a dab of hot glue to make them stick together, then hot glued them onto the cardboard.
First I did a whole round of the large pages, making it really full with different variations of the cones – skinny, fat, medium.
Then I folded and cut the pages in half to make smaller cones. I made a big whack of them, then filled in with another layer, right on top of the full size pages.
The more layers, the better. Now, I have to admit, the layering is where patience is handy. It took me 3 hours of gluing cones together to get it this full, but my wreath is huge, nearly 3 ft. across, it makes a big impact!
You also need to work from all different angles. I sat a while, stood a while, picked it up, looked at it from all different angles to keep it all uniform & stuff. But after a LOT of rolling, gluing, rolling, gluing, rolling, gluing…..
I have to admit that I really love it! There’s a ton of different methods on some great blogs out there to make one that’s uniform & perfect, but I like mine kinda free-form & organically shaped. It has a uniformity to the layers, but the sizes of the cones are each unique, as is the way I piece it together. All that hot glue later, it’s a really sturdy, beautiful piece… and it helped me overcome my creative slump, I think…