Looking for the perfect blood orange dessert recipe? This blood orange meringue pie recipe made from scratch is pure perfection!
Man, oh man… I love blood oranges! I’m always excited to stumble upon them in the grocery store in early spring, because they are hands down my favorite fruit. Don’t get me wrong, I love pineapple and strawberries and watermelon (oh my!) – but blood oranges win every time.
Maybe it’s because you can only get them a few months out of the year? I dunno. But what I do know is that last spring I had a hankering for this pie, but I kinda drank up all my supply in margaritas before I got around to making a pie. Then I couldn’t find any more. Bummer.
But it’s spring – so that means: they’re back! So this year I finally did it… and man it’s so good! My husband wasn’t too sure of the idea because he hates lemon meringue pie – but he loved this one. So much, in fact, that he went and bought more so I could make it again.
Confession: I made my pie crust from scratch (totally need to blog that recipe soon), but you can use your own recipe or a pre-made pie crust. The crust is the hardest part, anyway. You can make the rest in about 10 minutes… and you’ll never look at meringue pie the same.
PS – Make sure if you decided to make this blood orange dessert that you pile that meringue up HIGH! Trust me… it’s all kinds of better that way! 🙂
BLOOD ORANGE MERINGUE PIE RECIPE
- 1 1/2 cups of blood orange juice
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup sugar for filling + 1/2 cup sugar for meringue
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract for filling + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract for meringue
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Pie crust
- Cook the pie crust according to the directions on the package, sit aside to cool.
- In a sauce pan, mix together 1 cup sugar, corn starch & blood orange juice, then cook on medium until it comes to a boil and thickens. Set aside
- Melt the butter and let it cool slightly. Add in the egg yolks only - one at a time whisking into the butter until all yolks are mixed with the butter. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add 1/2 of the blood orange mix into the butter mixture, a little at a time, so that it warms up the butter & eggs. Pour it all back into the pan with the blood orange mix and whisk together.
- Return to the heat and bring up to a boil on medium heat, just until it comes to a boil. Set aside to cool while you make the meringue.
- In the bowl of a mixer, add in the egg whites and cream of tartar. Using the whisk attachment, beat until eggs are at soft peaks. Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the 1/2 cup of sugar plus the other 1 teaspoon of vanilla, then return to high and mix until stiff peaks.
- Pour the pie filling into the shell, then top with meringue. Be sure to go all the way around, touching the edge of the pie shell with the meringue so it doesn't shrink during cooking.
- Bake a 350 degrees until meringue is browned (5-10 minutes depending on your oven.)
Want to see more fun Spring Mason Jar Crafts? Be sure to visit my friends who are all sharing their creative ideas on their blogs: